LCV drivers branded rudest on UK roads
The commercial and private van insurance provider says that van drivers topped its poll of the rudest drivers conducted by 1,000 UK motorists, with a score of 27%. This was followed by taxi drivers (24%), young people (15%), old people (8%) and lorry drivers (8%), who display the least courtesy and politeness towards fellow motorists on our roads.
The new research shows that the rudest offences by van drivers include:
- Cutting drivers up (30%)
- Pulling out in front of drivers (26%)
- Tailgating (22%)
- Swearing and gesticulating at other road users (10%)
- Not saying ‘thank you’ when another road user gives right of way to them (8%)
- Not letting drivers in (4%)
As a result, the company has put together some advice for van drivers:
- Think about how aggressive and bullying your behaviour might seem. Remember that your van represents your business – especially if your business name is printed on the side. Shouting and beeping at pretty women along the street might provide you with a quick laugh, but to the rest of the road users and pedestrians, it just reinforces the stereotype of van drivers.
- Keep your mouth closed when driving along, despite how tempting it might be to abuse members of the public from your van, as well as restraining from swearing – you might think others aren’t paying attention, but your next potential job could be listening and it won’t make for a very good lasting impression!
- Try and drive courteously and sensibly – if you overtake and honk your horn at slower road users, maybe try leaving your home 10 minutes earlier in order to make it to your next job on time and without your blood pressure through the roof!
- If someone lets you pull out before them or waits for your van to drive past on a street where vehicles are doubled parked, just flash, smile or raise your hand to say thank you
The company added: 'It takes a nano second and will show to the other road users that van drivers can be kind and considerate on the road too. If every van driver made small differences like these, we could squash the "white van man" reputation once and for all!'