Workbench Logo
Workbench Logo
Workbench Logo
Workbench Logo
Workbench Logo

Increased uptake of roadwork permits could cut disruption

More councils should look at adopting roadwork permit schemes to help cut congestion.

The remaining 35% of councils are being asked to introduce roadwork permit schemes

The remaining 35% of councils are being asked to introduce roadwork permit schemes

So says the Department for Transport as it publishes new research from Ecorys that shows such schemes – where companies apply to highways authorities to carry out works – can help reduce the length of disruption from roadworks by more than three days. The analysis also showed these schemes cut the number of overrunning roadworks.

Introduced in 2010, permit schemes cover works on all local roads and can be complemented by lane rental, where utility companies are charged daily for digging up the busiest roads at peak times – earlier this year, the DfT gave councils the green light to roll out lane charging schemes nationwide later this year, which will see companies charged up to £2,500 a day to carry out works on busy roads.

Around 65% of authorities now have roadwork permit schemes in place and the remaining 35% are being asked to introduce them.

Roads Minister Jesse Norman said: “Roadworks are the bane of drivers’ lives, causing delays and costing the UK economy £4.3bn a year. Permit schemes are proven to reduce the length of roadworks, allowing motorists to have fewer disrupted journeys and reducing the burden on businesses.”

For more of the latest industry news, click here.

Related Posts

Natalie Middleton

Natalie has worked as a fleet journalist for 16 years, previously as assistant editor on the former Company Car magazine before joining Fleet World in 2006. Prior to this, she worked on a range of B2B titles, including Insurance Age and Insurance Day. As Business Editor, Natalie ensures the group websites and newsletters are updated with the latest news.