Fleet World Workshop Tools
Car Tax Calculator
CO2 Calculator
Car Comparator
Van Tax Calculator
EV Car Comparator
BiK Rates Company Car Tax

SME fleet managers left “defeated” by data

Fleet managers in SMEs are being swamped by data, due to using outdated and inefficient systems and processes, but a new solution is at hand.

Fleet Admin launches from early September and offers a solution to support and assist fleet managers in the organisation of day-to-day tasks

New research from Vimcar has found that nearly a quarter (24%) of fleet managers surveyed spend half their working day on spreadsheets, with more than half saying it prevents them from completing other important fleet tasks.

A total of 60% use multiple digital spreadsheets and 10% still use pen and paper. Of those surveyed, 79% have more than five different spreadsheets to keep track of important data such as cost, maintenance and mileage, with a further one in 10 using over 30.

The research also reveals the business impact of such obsolete processes.

A total of 46% find spreadsheet set up too time consuming while 37% say it leaves room for mistakes, with 63% admitting to having missed deadlines.

To help fleets deal with this, Vimcar, which provides fleet management software and tracking solutions, has launched a new product.

Dubbed Fleet Admin and available from early September, it offers a solution to support and assist fleet managers in the organisation of day-to-day tasks and will allow them to keep track of and analyse data such as fleet costs, vehicle maintenance reminders and mileage updates.

Ronald Clancy, UK country manager, Vimcar, said: “It’s clear from our research that those running fleets in SMEs are feeling defeated by their data, and it is having a negative impact on their businesses. Running a successful fleet starts with how its managed and fleet managers cannot be expected to run things efficiently while still relying on admin tools that aren’t fit for purpose. It is critical that fleet managers are well equipped with an automated and digitised management system that not only streamlines their data and daily tasks, but allows them to view, evaluate and compare the data held within the system.”

For more of the latest industry news, click here.

Natalie Middleton

Natalie has worked as a fleet journalist for nearly 20 years, previously as assistant editor on the former Company Car magazine before joining Fleet World in 2006. Prior to this, she worked on a range of B2B titles, including Insurance Age and Insurance Day.