Brake announces winners of Fleet Safety Awards & offers Fleet Safety Forum discount
Winners were announced at a prestigious gala dinner held Thursday 5th June at St John's Hotel in Solihull, Birmingham. The awards, sponsored by Arval, were attended by nearly 300 guests – the highest attendance rate ever.
Big winners on the night were MiX Telematics, Ocado, and Travis Perkins who all picked up two awards each. Individual awards went to Ocado fleet training and development manager Neil Shaw (Road Risk Manager of the Year) and Travis Perkins group transport risk manager Rachel Downs (Best Newcomer to Road Risk Management). The prestigious Kevin Storey Award for Outstanding Commitment to Road Safety went to AlcoSense founder and CEO Hunter Abbott.
During the day more than 100 delegates attended Brake's Fleet Safety Conference, sponsored by Aviva, which featured speakers on a range of road safety topics. Manager guidance reports on these topics will be published by Brake over the coming months, and made available for free to conference delegates and Brake subscribers.
Altogether, 112 awards entries were received from more than 40 organisations this year.
The 2014 Fleet Safety Award winners are:
- Company Driver Safety Award (small fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Castrol Lubricants
- Company Driver Safety Award (medium fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Ocado Ltd
- Company Driver Safety Award (large fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Travis Perkins
- Eco Fleet Award, sponsored by Optimum Fleet: Tristar Worldwide Chauffeur Services
- Fleet Safety Analysis and Action Award, sponsored by ARI Fleet UK: E.ON UK
- Fleet Safety Innovation Award (operator), sponsored by Castrol: Mitie
- Fleet Safety Innovation Award (supplier), sponsored by Castrol: MiX Telematics
- Fleet Safety Partnership Award, sponsored by Trimble: BT and Interactive Driving Systems
- Fleet Safety Product Award, sponsored by QBE: MiX Telematics
- Road Safety in the Community Award, sponsored by Ocado: Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Safe Vehicles Award, sponsored by Road Haulage Association: Speedy Asset Services
- Road Risk Manager of the Year Award, sponsored by Licence Bureau: Neil Shaw (Ocado Ltd)
- Best Newcomer to Road Risk Management, sponsored by Specsavers: Rachel Downs (Travis Perkins)
- Kevin Storey Award for Outstanding Commitment to Road Safety, sponsored by Arriva: Hunter Abbott (AlcoSense)
This year's Kevin Storey Award for outstanding commitment to road safety went to Hunter Abbott, a long-time Brake supporter who has been instrumental in raising awareness of the deadly risk of drink driving. Since 2007, Kevin has campaigned tirelessly to raise awareness about the specific risk of morning-after drink-driving, as well as working with the government on drink-drive education courses to educate convicted drink-drivers on the risks and help ensure they do not reoffend. Kevin has also launched a low-cost consumer breathalyser aimed at warning people when they still have some alcohol in their systems, and advising against driving until completely sober.
In celebration of the Awards, Brake is offering a special discount to companies who want to reduce their road risk by joining Brake's Fleet Safety Forum. The Fleet Safety Forum is a low-cost subscription service offering free training, tools, and resources to companies with at-work drivers, to help them in reducing their road risk. Annual subscription costs £155 +VAT but any company that joins the Fleet Safety Forum before Friday 20thJune, quoting codefsf-conf-14, will receive a 25% discount on their first year's subscription.