Surrey Police disclose strangest speeding excuses
Top of the list came from a motorist who said: ‘Sorry I was speeding, but my missus ran away with a police officer the other week and I thought you were bringing her back.’
A fast food lover tried to blame a meal of ‘dodgy fried chicken’ for a desperate dash for the toilet, while another driver thought honesty was the best policy when he simply explained: ‘I was trying to get away from the cops.’
A dog lover tried to blamed his canine companion for taking his eye off the speedometer by saying: ‘One of my dogs in the back is a police dog. Well an ex-police dog. Well just a dog.’
After being stopped for travelling at 130mph, a motorist clearly worried about his leather interior said: ‘My passenger has had too much to drink and I don’t want her being sick in the car.’
Local traffic cops have revealed the excuses as part of Surrey Police’s and Surrey County Council’s Drive SMART road safety campaign.
Surrey Police inspector Richard Mallett, from the Roads Policing Unit, said: ‘Although these excuses might seem amusing, the simple truth is speed kills. It is not amusing when my officers, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service and the ambulance service have to deal with people killed or seriously injured at the scene of a collision.
‘It is heart-breaking to see the impact on families when we have to tell them that a loved one has been killed or hurt. There is no excuse for speeding and there is no excuse for trying to shirk responsibility for your actions.’
Top unusual speeding excuses:
- I was trying to make my wife shut up by scaring her.
- Please can you let me off, I will lose my job.
- I had some dodgy fried chicken and I need the toilet.
- My missus ran away with a police officer the other week and I thought you were bringing her back.
- I was trying to get away from the cops.
- One of my dogs in the back is a police dog. Well an ex-police dog. Well just a dog.
- My passenger has drunk too much and I don’t want her being sick in the car.
- Sorry, I’m wearing my winter (motorcycling) leathers and I was so hot I was just trying to cool down.