What Car? names Audi A1 as Car of the Year
The A1 was also dubbed the Best Supermini while Audi picked up the Best Coupé award for the Audi TT too.
Steve Fowler, What Car? editor-in-chief, said: 'If ever there has been a car that has hit the nail squarely and firmly on the head, the Audi A1 is it. It's the right car at the right time: a car that combines desirability and ability alongside frugal financials – the perfect combination.'
Jeremy Hicks, director of Audi UK, commented: 'It's a tremendous accolade for the Audi A1 to receive the What Car? Car of the Year Award – a title with such a strong and long-standing reputation. We know that the Audi A1 has been exhaustively tested and analysed by the entire What Car? team, and this makes us especially proud to receive this expert recognition.'
The rest of the award winners are as follows:
• Best Small Family Car – Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI 122 Match.
• Best Family Car – Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Zetec
• Best Estate Car – Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 140 Zetec
• Best Compact Executive – BMW 3 Series
• Best Executive Car – Jaguar XF
• Best Luxury Car – Mercedes-Benz S-Class
• Best Hot Hatchback – Renault Mégane Renaultsport 250 Cup
• Best Performance Car – Ferrari 458 Italia
• Best MPV – SEAT Alhambra
• Best Coupe – Audi TT
• Best Open-Top Car – BMW Z4
• Best Crossover – Peugeot 3008
• Best 4×4 – Land Rover Discovery 4
• Ultra-Low-Carbon-Car – Nissan LEAF
• Reader Award for the most exciting car of 2011- Range Rover Evoque
• Security Award in association with Cobra and Thatcham – Volkswagen
• Safety Award – Volvo for its Pedestrian Detection system