TfL sets out proposals to overhaul London’s private hire industry
The move follows a review of private hire regulations in London, including a public consultation with over 16,000 responses, and outlines key proposals including:
- A formal English language requirement for drivers.
- Guaranteed fare estimates for customers in advance of their journey.
- The provision of driver and vehicle details to customers, including a photo of the driver, before the start of each journey.
- Private hire operators to ensure that customers can speak to someone in the event of a problem with their journey.
- Enhanced ‘hire and reward’ insurance requirements.
- Improved record keeping and real-time provision of driver and vehicle information to TfL.
Prompted by concerns over air quality and congestion, the Mayor has also asked TfL to investigate the impact and feasibility of removing the Congestion Charge exemption for private hire vehicles in central London and will also take forward new legislation to regulate the pedicab industry.