Fleet World Workshop Tools
Car Tax Calculator
CO2 Calculator
Car Comparator
Van Tax Calculator
EV Car Comparator
BiK Rates Company Car Tax

TCH Leasing’s transparent return policy slashes vehicle recharges

The contract hire and fleet management specialist has revealed that since January 2014, 68% of end-of-contract vehicles supplied to its 10 largest corporate clients have had zero damage recharges, whilst the remaining 32% experienced an average damage recharge of £133. This compares to figures in recently published research that found 35% of cars returned to the UK’s 100 largest leasing companies incurred damage recharges, at an average of £274.

In the last six months TCH Leasing has collected around 1,200 vehicles under the “inspect and collect” process and, to date, has only received four actual complaints, which represents less than a 1% ratio.

The firm credited its lower-than-average vehicle recharges to its transparent return policy. On collection of all vehicles TCH Leasing completes a full condition report and any damage is noted and photographed. Both parties then sign the collection sheet and the client retains a copy. Upon return to TCH Leasing, the vehicle is then re-inspected by the remarketing team and any noted damage that is considered outside of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear guidelines is evaluated, not for repair, but for reduction in resale value. This is then communicated to the client, supported by the photographic evidence.

Mark Hammond, managing director of TCH Leasing, commented: “TCH Leasing’s approach to the return of vehicles is an essential element of our service. We are acutely aware that end of contract charges can be extremely contentious and can destabilise what was otherwise a good relationship between the customer and the leasing company.”

He added: “It is important to note that our long standing ethos is always to try and retain a working relationship with our customers and try and be flexible in the event of a dispute.”

For more of the latest industry news, click here.

Natalie Middleton

Natalie has worked as a fleet journalist for 16 years, previously as assistant editor on the former Company Car magazine before joining Fleet World in 2006. Prior to this, she worked on a range of B2B titles, including Insurance Age and Insurance Day. As Business Editor, Natalie ensures the group websites and newsletters are updated with the latest news.