Speeding and mobile phone issues head list of company car and van driving offences
The research is based on the users of the fleet software firm's Licence Link licence checking software. The results are:
Code and offence Percentage of total offences recorded % *
1. SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road 59.19
2. CU80 Using a mobile phone while driving a motor vehicle 10.74
3. SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway 8.48
4. TS10 Failing to comply with traffic light signals 6.71
5. DR10 Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit 5.43
6. SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limits 2.36
7. IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks 1.77
8. MS90 Failure to give information as to identity of driver etc 1.16
9. SP20 Speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles) 0.77
10. CD10 Driving without due care and attention 0.41
Neville Briggs, managing director at CFC Solutions, said that the top 10 list could be used by fleet managers to help shape their future risk management strategies.
He explained: 'If fleet managers have a good idea of the type of offences that are likely to be committed on their fleet, then they can put measures in place to help prevent them being committed in future. Clearly, these statistics show that many fleets have some work to do when it comes to educating drivers about the very real dangers of speeding and mobile phone use.'
* This figure is the percentage that each offence represents from the total of all offences recorded by CFC Solutions.