Smartphone app provides remote controls for Volvo drivers
The app is available for owners of 2012 model year Volvos and is an extension of the Volvo On Call service, which provides assistance in accidents and emergencies.
Available for iPhone or Android smart phone, app features include:
• Car locator – the location of the car is shown on a map. There is also a digital compass that points the driver in the right direction. If necessary, the car horn and indicators can be activated to facilitate the search.
• Remote door lock. The status of all doors and windows is displayed – and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
• Vehicle dashboard – this gives the driver access to a wide range of information: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
• Car check – the app performs a "health" check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, break fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
• Driving journal – detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days can be downloaded and stored. There is also a possibility to extract the data as an Excel file – a perfect feature for company car owners.
• Vehicle information – basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number are stored and can be displayed.
• Theft notification. If the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via the mobile app.
'The new mobile application transforms Volvo On Call from an emergency system to a useful convenience feature. It will help us boost sales of the system – and we are convinced that our ambitious plans in this connectivity field will help us attract more and more new customers in the future,' said Volvo Cars CEO Stefan Jacoby.
The mobile app is free and downloaded via the iPhone and Android application stores.For more of the latest industry news, click here.