Fleet World Workshop Tools
Car Tax Calculator
CO2 Calculator
Car Comparator
Van Tax Calculator
EV Car Comparator
BiK Rates Company Car Tax

No-deal Brexit to bring more hassle for cross-border travel

UK drivers may need to get insurance ‘green cards’ to drive on the Continent, causing delays at borders, in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

uk europe flag

Drivers may need to get green cards and International Driving Permits for travel in Europe post-Brexit

The warning comes just weeks after guidance from the Department for Transport set out how drivers may need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and could bring further mayhem.

Currently UK drivers do not need a green card for travel within the European Economic Area, as well as in Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia but the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) said that unless the current arrangements are maintained, motorists will need green cards which will have to be checked at borders, causing delays not just in the UK.

Dominic Clayden, chief executive officer of the MIB, said the organisation is working with the Government, European Economic Area bureaux and others to prepare for the use of green cards, including preparing bilateral agreements with each of the MIB equivalents in the 30 countries in the EEA.

He added: “Whilst there are no immediate changes it will be important, for anyone who is planning to travel on or after 29 March 2019, to check the latest position with gov.uk, MIB or your insurer.”

For more of the latest industry news, click here.

Natalie Middleton

Natalie has worked as a fleet journalist for nearly 20 years, previously as assistant editor on the former Company Car magazine before joining Fleet World in 2006. Prior to this, she worked on a range of B2B titles, including Insurance Age and Insurance Day.