New TfL website includes road status boards
The new site is optimised for use on mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop and puts customers in control by providing more personalised, live travel information, including a new “Nearby” function which shows all local travel options and real-time service information.
Highlights of the new website, which has been running in beta mode for the last eight months to give customers the opportunity to shape its development, include:
- Road Status Boards, showing the impact of traffic incidents, how the traffic is flowing on main roads and how they will be affected by future planned events;
- A more intuitive Journey Planner with a “use my location” feature, which saves recent searches and provides walking and cycling options.
Other additions include:
- A “Nearby” feature, which allows customers to see on a map all the Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, National Rail and Barclays Cycle Hire services in their vicinity, including live information on departures and how many free bikes or docking spaces are available;
- Improved mapping using Google maps, including Street View to help when visiting unfamiliar areas and Visitor Mapping that displays tourist attractions and other points of interest;
- Live Status and Departures, providing real-time information about arrivals, departures and service status for London Underground, DLR and Overground stations, bus and tram stops, river piers and Emirates Air Line;
- An improved “Transparency” section, providing more extensive information about how TfL operates, including the contracts it enters into;
- Improved search tools, allowing easy filtering between travel information, news, documents and reports.
Phil Young, TfL's head of online, said: ‘Our new website puts customers in control, with more live travel information and options making it easier than ever to plan and make journeys in London.’