New RoSPA website for older drivers
The new website – olderdrivers.org.uk – has been set up with funding from the Department for Transport and gives tips on how people can update their driving skills and knowledge.
The site is intended to help drivers to:
- Recognise whether and how their driving is changing
- Find out what they can do to cope with these changes, such as change when and where they drive, adapt their car or take driver assessment or training
- Find local driving assessment or refresher training
- Understand the law about health conditions and driving and how to renew their driving licence
- Plan for the need to change when and where they drive, and if it becomes necessary, to retire from driving.
Kevin Clinton, RoSPA’s head of road safety, said: “The aim of the website is to help older people to continue to drive for as long as they are safe to do so, and to provide advice on making the decision to retire from driving if they are no longer able to drive safely.”