IAM launches winter driving campaign
The campaign will offer weekly advice, reactive weather forecast updates and social media activation in a move to increase rider and driver consideration and reduce the number of winter weather related fatalities.
2013 research from the Department for Transport reinforces the risks of winter driving, with a reported 57,260 cars across England and Wales involved in accidents as a result of wet, flooded and icy roads.
The top five regions in which accidents have occurred as a result of rain, floods, ice and snow in 2013 are:
- South East reported 6,675 accidents, of which 3,566 were serious
- London reported 4,485 accidents, of which 2,112 were serious
- North West reported 4,436 accidents, of which 2,347 were serious
- East of England reported 4,382 accidents, of which 1,936 were serious
- South West reported 3,413 accidents, of which 1,625 were serious
IAM chief executive Nick Stonard said: ‘Driving in winter requires much more care and preparation. The wheels in winter campaign is part of a national effort to cut the number of road traffic collisions and incidents.’