IAM Ice Driving Tips
Elstow offers six tips to drive confidently in icy conditions:
1. Check if your vehicle has ABS or ESP. These systems require a different approach when driving in ice and snow. You can use your manual for further information.
2. Ensure you have de-icer and a scraper. Before setting off, make sure you clean any ice or condensation from all the windows so that your visibility is clear. Air conditioning is very good at demisting a vehicle.
3. When you set off on level ground or downhill consider using second gear, releasing the clutch and accelerating gently. Try to park and stop your vehicle where you don’t have to start uphill.
4. As you drive, stay in higher gears to minimise the possibility of wheel spin.
5. Stopping distances are increased by up to 10 times in icy conditions, so leave more distance than usual between your car and the car in front.
6. If your car loses grip, take your foot off the accelerator, disengage the clutch and steer smoothly.
Elstow said: 'We all need to respect the weather and make adjustments to deal with it. Being mentally prepared as well as having the right equipment is vital.'