Beware of opportunistic car thieves over festive period
The rental firm has issued its top tips:
• Take care when choosing where to park, ensure you select a well lit and secure area with CCTV if possible, and avoid side streets where possible.
• It’s easy to get side-tracked thinking about the endless list of things to do, but remember to always take your keys out of the ignition and close and lock all doors.
• Always remove any valuables from your vehicle; if this isn’t possible secure them in a locked glove box or car boot.
• Remove your sat nav from the vehicle and clean any marks left by the device.
• When defrosting your car during these cold winter months don’t leave your car running unattended, especially if it’s filled with presents and treats as this entices thieves even more. If your car or a hire car is stolen under this circumstance, the likelihood is that you won’t be insured.
Linda Paul, director of central services at Thrifty Car and Van Rental, said: 'We all want to be able to enjoy the festive period without being a victim of crime. By taking a few simple steps you can reduce the risk of being a target. We are urging all motorists to take care of their cars and their contents this Christmas so that it truly is a joyful time for everyone.'