Fleet World Workshop Tools
Car Tax Calculator
CO2 Calculator
Car Comparator
Van Tax Calculator
EV Car Comparator
BiK Rates Company Car Tax

Are your drivers heading for a breakdown driving abroad?

By / 11 years ago / Latest News / No Comments

The fleet management firm says that because they don’t own the car, company car drivers assume that their company car warranty and breakdown cover will assist them in Europe. It also adds the warning that although businesses may feel that it is the driver’s responsibility to make sure they have the right cover, the car is the company’s property and therefore the company’s responsibility.

One area that needs to be considered is breakdown cover – many drivers fail to take out European cover for their company car, because they are unaware of the fact that it could cost between £600 and £1,000 to have one vehicle repatriated.
Equally, insurance has to be checked to make sure drivers are legal to drive on European roads. And there are a number of other documents and items of kit that need to be in the car when driving abroad.
Anthony Dowdall, head of operations at Masterlease, said: 'Fleet managers need to get this message across before people go away for the summer or risk starting the autumn with hefty bills to pay. Roadside assistance on the continent can cost over €100 and bringing home a stranded vehicle can cost much more. As well as ensuring drivers have adequate insurance and breakdown cover, businesses should have a policy in place for driving overseas and make sure drivers have information about what to do if they break down or have an accident abroad. Drivers should also be aware of which compulsory documents and equipment must be carried when driving on the Continent.'
Masterlease gives the following advice:
• Drivers should check with their company that they are authorised to take the car out of the UK
• In certain countries specific equipment has to be carried by drivers or risk a roadside fine. In France, for example, a hazard triangle, spare light bulbs and high-visibility jackets are required. Always check in relation to the country of destination
• Warranty cover may not have the same conditions in other countries
• Company car drivers abroad must also carry a letter of authority from the owner and proper identification. Where cars are on lease a "Vehicle on Hire" certificate (VE103) must be obtained from the leasing company and carried by the driver
• Drivers should check with their company that the vehicle is insured to drive abroad. Although the company covers drivers at home, this does not necessarily mean drivers are protected abroad
• Businesses should check the roadside cover of their drivers, as it may need to be upgraded to include Europe.

For more of the latest industry news, click here.

The author didn't add any Information to his profile yet.